Kamloops home owners have you considered the dangers of carbon monoxide? Carbon monoxide, an odorless, colorless gas, is a byproduct of combustion processes in furnaces, fireplaces, appliances, charcoal grills and vehicles that use fossil fuels. It can be dangerous.
A proper exhaust and venting system safely removes this by-product from the home. To keep heating systems and gas or wood burning appliances working well, have them checked annually. Installing carbon monoxide detectors near sleeping areas and in each bedroom can provide another level of safety.
According to Health Canada, the elderly and those with respiratory or heart conditions may react poorly to even low levels of CO poisoning. If you suspect a carbon monoxide problem, follow these tips from the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation. If an obvious source of carbon monoxide is not present:
- Evacuate all occupants.
- If anyone has flu-like symptoms, call 911; if there are no health problems, call your gas utility, heating contractor or the fire department to have your house tested.
- Have a qualified service technician inspect and repair any problems.
- Do not re-occupy the house unless those who tested the house inform you that it is safe.
The best thing to do to prevent any potential health risks or death is install carbon monoxide detectors in your home. You can purchase them from many local businesses here in Kamloops.
If you have any questions about carbon monoxide or anything related to home inspections contact me directly or post your question here.Todd Hrycenko, Global Property Inspections ac.cbipgnull@ddot 250-371-2787